Thursday, June 30, 2011

A Gentle Blowing-2nd Favorite Passage of Scripture

Yesterday I posted that my favorite passage of scripture was Ecclesiastes 3:1-8. Today, I am posting my second favorite (I have a list of 1-5 favorite Bible passages and verses)

Today's Bible thought comes from I Kings 19: 9-12 (New American Standard Version)

I Kings 19: 9-12

9 Then he [Elijah] came there to a cave, and lodged there; and behold, the word of the Lord came to him, and He said to him, "What are you doing here, Elijah?"

10 And he said, "I have been very zealous for the Lord, the God of hosts; for the sons of Israel have forsaken Thy covenant, torn down Thine altars and killed Thy prophets with the sword. And I alone am left; and they seek my life, to take it away"

11 So He said, "Go forth, and stand on the mountain before the Lord." And behold, the Lord was passing by! And a great and strong wind was rending the mountains and breaking in pieces the rocks before the Lord; but the Lord was not in the wind. And after the wind an earthquake, but the Lord was not in the earthquake.

12 And after the earthquake a fire, but the Lord was not in the fire; and after the fire, a sound of a gentle blowing.

I guess I love this passage so much because I always expect God to be in a certain place. It is so easy to see God in the BIG things of this life, but sometimes I neglect to see Him in the small things. I don't know if Elijah thought the same thing, but I love that this is recorded in the Bible.

Since I discovered this story (about 3 years ago) I really have done a better job of trying to see God in the small things that don't receive as much attention. Most of the time, children remind me of this lesson. When Sawyer (our preacher's 8 year old little boy) brings a masterpiece to me on Sunday mornings, and I look down and see that he has drawn a picture from a VBS lesson 3 years ago, I think, "WOW! God works in amazing ways." Or when Avery (my bestie's 16 month old) remembers ALL the songs in Bible class on Sunday morning and Wednesday night, again I think of how great God really is. 

And then there is my child. My precious little Ava. I look into her face and see myself. I look into her face and see Jeremy. Something so small like a set of genes can have such a great impact...and God made it possible.

Again, there are tons of lessons to learn from this story. The story of Elijah is pretty neat. But, to me, it is the small gentle blowing amidst the wind, earthquake, and fire, that gets my attention every time.

No comments:

Post a Comment