Saturday, June 25, 2011

What I'm Reading

Top to Bottom: Babywise II (Ezzo and Buckham),  On Becoming Babywise (Ezzo and Buckham),  Bringing up Girls (Dr. James Dobson), Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child (Dr. Marc Weissbluth), & The New Dare to Discipline (Dr. James Dobson)
I have always been a reader. When I was in 4th grade, I would read the Funk & Wagnall's Encyclopedia for fun (not just once, but everyday when I got home from school) I read magazines, books, the newspaper, pamphlets at the doctor's office, etc. I think I know almost every rule in our 30 page legal sized Home Owner's Association packet. I also read several things at one time. It is not uncommon for me to have 5 or 6 books going at one time. I never get them confused. Somehow my brain keeps all the information in the right place.

Here are the books that I am reading right now and a brief opinion and synopsis of each one:

Babywise II

This is a very short companion to On Becoming Babywise. It gives tips and strategies for introducing your 6 month old to solid foods, table manners, individual playtime, etc.

I believe the Babywise franchise has gotten a bad reputation because of the misuse of these books. This book has a whole section on Legalism and how parents should not be rigid with this book. The author actually tells parents not to be rigid and yet so many people place a rigid schedule on their baby and say that they are using Babywise! 

Why I use it: I do not agree with everything in the book. I use common sense and try different things that I think will help our family raise a child successfully. Most of the things work and as a result, Ava is a happy child (I do think that regardless of this book, Ava would have been a happy child anyway)

On Becoming Babywise

This is the first book in the Babywise series. The whole book is about a feeding schedule that is conducive to healthy sleep. I found this book by chance at Barnes & Noble at The Summit shopping center in Birmingham. I was 8 months pregnant and Jeremy had whisked me away for a little weekend retreat before Ava was born. I could not put it down! I thought it had great suggestions for feeding and sleep. I love my sleep and anything that could help us get back on track after her birth, was welcome!

Again, I started hearing really bad things about this book after I told people I was reading it. I was perplexed! I thought it was great. It offered really good advice about parenting and how to make your child a part of your family instead of making them the center of your family.

How I used this book: Again, I do not agree with everything that this book says. I use common sense with this book and everything else that I read. One thing that bothered me about this book was the "Cry It Out" method. I feel like the author probably intends that parents let babies "fuss it out." To me, there is a difference. If Ava is screaming in her crib, then something is wrong. Even if it is time for her to take a nap, I never ignore a scream. If it is a mild "fuss," then I do let her "fuss it out." She usually falls asleep within 5 minutes. 

Bringing Up Girls

If you have not read this book, it is a must! I would say read it even if you have little boys. Dr. Dobson is so great! He writes about how society has changed and how it has affected females. He also writes about how important a Dad is to a little girl and how affirmation and acceptance at an early age can build confidence and security in little girls as they grow older. I know that some would consider him and his ideas to be old fashioned, but I am a little old fashioned myself! I love this book and will be buying Bringing Up Boys very soon (even though I do not have a little boy, I think it may help me understand my spouse) :)

Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child

This book is a great guide to getting your child to sleep at night. It is filled with suggestions and anecdotes from parents who have used Dr. Wiessbluth's ideas. I love this book because Dr. Wiessbluth does not condemn parents who practice one particular method of getting their children to sleep. He gives helpful and sound advice for parents who use the extinction method of getting a child to sleep as well as advice for parents who practice gradual withdrawal. Even though I am a first time parent, I do not enjoy when others make condescending remarks whether in person or in a book. It seems self-centered and vain to think that you have everything figured out about child-rearing. I would suggest this book to anyone who is currently pregnant, looking to become pregnant, or already a parent. 

The New Dare to Discipline

Again, Dr. Dobson is a gem! He suggests waiting until a child is 15-18 months old before starting a discipline routine. This is the age when children start becoming openly defiant. He doesn't mean that you cannot tell your child "no" before this age, he just suggests that discipline will mean more to your child at this age. I feel like Jeremy and I will know when the time is right with Ava. Right now, she does not display openly defiant behavior. We try to train her to do what is right and use diversion as a means to get her attention. She has moments when she screams and will not look at me, but after all, she is only 6 months old. I should not expect adult behavior from a baby.


I have already read all these books one time each. I will probably read them all again throughout Ava's 1st and 2nd year. It really helps me to have a reference on hand for all of my questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment