Friday, June 17, 2011

I Feel Like Sushi Tonight, Like Sushi Tonight, Like Sushi Tonight!

Does everyone remember the old "Chicken Tonight" commercials? I got that jingle stuck in my head tonight as Jeremy was making sushi. If you have never seen those commercials, then my title it not going to make any sense!! :) 

Anyway, on to sushi. I had never tried sushi until about two years ago. When I was working, a co-worker always talked about how sushi was her favorite food and I gagged to myself a little bit because the thought of sticking raw fish in my mouth did not seem appealing! But, I got up the nerve to try it one night when Jeremy and I were eating at Hokkaido (rest in peace) We started out with the basic sushi dish: Teka Maki. Jeremy and I both tried the first bite and we were hooked! He never ventured farther than that, but I have tried so many different kinds and have loved them all! The Crimson Roll at Hokkaido was the best that I had ever had. It had every kind of fried seafood available, plus cream cheese filling and a creamy sauce with red caviar for the topping . It was like a dessert! Delicious!!

When I got pregnant with Ava, I had to stop eating it. I probably could have eaten some of the rolls that incorporate fried seafood, but just in case it was prepared on the same surface as the raw, I didn't eat it. After Ava was born, our date nights always included eating sushi at Hokkaido. Then the April 27th tornado hit Tuscaloosa and Hokkaido was destroyed. I tried the sushi at Benkei and it was just not the same. I think we will try Tokyo at some point, but until that time, we will be making sushi at home.

This is the first time that Jeremy has prepared it at home, but he did a great job! Here are some photos of him cooking dinner tonight. He is so adventurous! 

 All the dry ingredients. He had to go to the Asian market to buy some of these things.

 Imitation was the best we could do on our budget!

 A very good friend from church goes deep sea fishing quite frequently. He keeps us supplied with fresh yellowfin tuna that we usually eat sashimi style. But, tonight it was going into some sushi rolls!

 Jeremy wanted to do it all by himself. So I let him :) Here he is stirring the sushi rice.

About to chop up the HUGE steaks of tuna!

 The seaweed wrap on the little bamboo wrapper.

 Laying the rice out on the seaweed

 Filling it up with yellowfin and avocado. This was my first roll. The other rolls that I ate had crab, tuna, and avocado.

All rolled up and ready to eat!
The finished product! Complete with chopsticks, black tea, and served on Blue Willow because of the Asian toile pattern!

And where was sweet Ava during all this? She was playing in her exersaucer watching Daddy in the kitchen. She was playing so intently that I caught her completely off guard when I captured this shot! Sweet baby!

No comments:

Post a Comment