Saturday, July 2, 2011

Power-3rd Favorite Passage of Scripture

I hate that I missed blogging yesterday, but I was terribly busy!

I know it is probably weird that I rate Bible stories, but that is just how I am. I rate everything! I have 5 favorite dinosaurs (1 Ankylosaurus 2 Stegosaurus 3 Triceratops 4 Diplodocus 5 Iguanodon) , I have a favorite letter of the alphabet ("a"), I even have a favorite of the 7 Wonders of the Ancient World (Hanging Gardens of Babylon) I know, I know!! I am incredibly crazy!! But, it is only fitting that I have favorite Bible stories! :)

So, here is my 3rd favorite Bible passage:

Luke 8:43-46 (New American Standard Version)

43 And a woman who had a hemorrhage for twelve years, and could not be healed by anyone, 

44 came up behind Him, and touched the fringe of his cloak; and immediately her hemorrhage stopped.

45 And Jesus said, "Who is the one who touched me?" And while they were all denying it, Peter said, "Master, the multitudes are crowding and pressing upon You."

46 But Jesus said, "Someone did touch Me, for I was aware that power had gone out of Me."

It is amazing, of course, that Jesus could heal people. But, that is not why this story is so cool. I love that Jesus could feel power leaving His body. I know that I will never have that power, but I wonder what the sensation felt like! Talk about curiosity! I know that there are things I will never feel because I am a woman. I also know that there are things that Jeremy will never feel because he is a man (like child-bearing). But, this is something that only Jesus could experience. If I ever get to talk to Jesus in Heaven, I would want to know how it felt to have power leave His body.

I came across this story when I was a Freshman in college. At the time, I was really struggling with religion and the Bible. I had grown up going to church, but I just didn't have all the answers that I wanted. Like I said in an earlier post, I like to ask, "why?" Why do we do things a certain way? Why do others do things differently? Why do we not agree on some things? 

I was encouraged to start studying my Bible (New Testament since it would answer a lot of my questions) and keeping notes. So, I did. Every night, I would sit in bed and read my Bible and record notes and questions that I had. Once a week, I would go to my preacher's office and have an hour or two hour Bible study with him and he would help me sort through all the stories and questions that I had. That is how I became a Christian. I do not consider myself to have been a Christian before that time. Even though I did grow up going to church and I was "baptized" at the age of 9 or 10, I truly did not grasp the concept of what becoming a Christian really is. It is so much more than just sitting in a pew every Sunday and Wednesday (which is what I was doing) So, at the age of 19, I was baptized for the remission of my sins and I have never looked back. It is so neat how this story played a part in that!

No comments:

Post a Comment