Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Storytime Tuesday: Ocean Animals

Today was my turn to teach storytime. Last night, I picked out two books that I would read as well as the visual aids I would use. I planned on waking up at 8 am this morning to get ready so that I could go to the building early and punch out all the stuff I would need for the craft.

My alarm did not go off this morning!! Luckily, Jeremy woke me up to tell me he was leaving to go to work. It was only 8:30, so I was not too late. Ava and I made it to the building 5 minutes before storytime started, so I still had time to punch out exactly what I needed and I had another mom help with all the stuff that did not get finished. It all worked out fine and the kiddos had a great time!

 Jeremy stepped out of his office down the hallway to come see his baby girl. It is always a highlight during the day to get to see Jeremy. He sat in the class while all the kids enjoyed their snacks. :)

 Today's craft was very simple. Each child created their own "ocean." They each received a die-cut of a crab, an octopus, a yellow fish, and a star fish. They then drew in kelp with a green crayon. The craft is always a tricky thing to plan because the audience is newborn-1st or 2nd grade. It can't be anything too hard. Anyway, I think they had a good time creating their own ocean. :)

 Lily Grace and Aubrey are busy at work creating their masterpiece!

 Nate named his fish "Goldy."

 Owen was the first one to give all his animals names. Once he did it and got some smiles from the adults, everyone wanted to name their animals! I thought Owen was especially creative with names: Goldey (fish), Hermit (crab), Rock Star (starfish), and Octo (octopus). Owen was very adamant that Goldey be spelled with an "e" before the "y." :)

 Once Canyon got his juice, he sipped it until it was gone!! I thought he was so cute drinking his juice. :)
 Sweet Nora sips on her juice too.

And Ava reads quietly to herself. I showed her this book last night and she loved it! She played with it on her bedroom floor for about 30 minutes. She would push it under her rug and then pull it out and repeat. I really believe that Jeremy and I could have walked away and left her by herself and she would have been fine (we didn't, of course) :) She has her clingy moments, but for the most part, she plays by herself very well.

No comments:

Post a Comment