Monday, May 14, 2012

Our Wedding Day

May 14th will always be a special day. Seven years ago, I married my best friend and soul mate. On that day seven years ago, I could not have guessed the memories that we would eventually make together. I could not have guessed the decisions that we would have to make together. And I could not have guessed the hurdles that we would have to jump together.  Life has had some tough moments, but with Jeremy at my side, those moments have been made memorable and even laughable.

Seven years ago, I woke up in hotel room that I shared with one of my bridesmaids. I stretched out and thought, "I'm getting married today." I think that is probably what all brides think on the day of their wedding! :) I wasn't nervous. In fact, I had actually slept in until 10 a.m. Don't ask me how I remember that! The wedding wasn't until 3 that afternoon, so I was safe. I had no hair appointments or make-up appointments. I wanted to do it all myself. Plus, Jeremy wanted me to wear my hair down in an everyday style.

The first thing I did was drive to the church building to see the progress. My parents had hired a florist and wedding planner to do everything for me. I am not lying when I say that I really didn't care how the reception or auditorium looked. I just wanted to be married to Jeremy. I was just curious as to how it was decorated. Everything looked really good, so I drove home.

I got a nice hot shower and was able to relax for a few hours while I waited for picture time. My Aunt Teresa had stayed at my parents house for the weekend so she could attend the wedding. She had recently lost her husband, Elden, so I felt like she might have a different perspective on marriage. Loss almost always makes you look back and analyze the things that matter. I talked with my Aunt Teresa for so long that I did not realize that I was running late! I do not regret any moment that I spent with her, though, because my wedding day was the last day that I saw her. Three years later, she had a massive heart attack in Indiana, and passed away. I am so glad that I had that time with her to talk and reminisce.

I headed up to the church building to get dressed and put on my make-up. All my bridesmaids were waiting for me. It only took me about 20 minutes to get ready. I am not high maintenance when it comes to looks, so a little make-up, a curling iron, and some hair spray is all I needed. I literally shoved the tiara on my head and clipped my veil in before walking down the hallway to the auditorium. I don't believe I have any sentimental pictures of my mom or sister lovingly placing the veil in my hair. I was ready to get married!!

I had absolutely no contact with Jeremy that day. I was really excited to see him! As I walked down the aisle, I caught my first glimpse of him. The auditorium was glowing with a golden light and he was in black in the middle of it all. I was so happy and could not stop smiling. He was happy too, but he was crying. I had only seen Jeremy cry one time before our wedding day, but not like this. Tears were streaming down his face and he had to pull the Kleenex (that was meant for me) out of his pocket and blow his nose. I was moved by his display of emotion, but I didn't cry. I actually laughed a little! Ferman Carpenter performed the ceremony for us. He made it really special by turning his back to the audience so that we could face our family and friends. We said our vows and then turned to the back of the auditorium so that 4 of the teenagers in our youth group could perform a song that Jeremy had written:

1st Stanza
Here we are
Standing here together
This is who we are
The start of our forever
Whether near or far
Holding your hand
I will shelter you
No matter what the weather is
I'm here for you
For worse or for better
I will care for you
You are my best friend...

Chorus
Let's run
Through this life
Let's hold each other through the nights
And let's go on
When others throw it in
And when we're old together
Let's be friends
Who would do it all again

2nd Stanza
You are dear to me
I'll always treat you like you were a part of me
Two hearts that beat together
It's not hard to see,
You are my miracle
Talk to me
You'll see it in my eyes,
You are the world to me;
The light that never  dies
I'll love you endlessly
And when you marry me...

Chorus
We'll run 
Through this life
We'll hold each other through the nights
And we'll go on
When others throw it in
And when we're old together
We'll be friends
Who would do it all again

We were pronounced husband and wife shortly after that. We shared our first kiss and walked down the aisle to the back foyer. We truly had a great time on our wedding day! Besides the day that I became a Christian, it was the best day of my life.








No comments:

Post a Comment