Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Storytime Tuesday: Jumanji and File Folder Game

Today was my turn to teach storytime. I was excited because I had been thinking that I wanted to make file folder games for my next storytime. I decided last week that the book, Jumanji, by Chris Van Allsburg, would be the perfect book to go along with a file folder game. 

I bought the file folders at Wal-Mart for $10 (these were more expensive than the plain manila ones because they were made of a heavier card stock that had been laminated, they were colored, and they were patterned) I used paint swatches to make the actual board game on the inside (free) and had Jeremy print off a picture to go on the front. This project could have been easier if I had just printed off a white paper board game to glue on the inside, but my home printer is not working. Plus, I like the punch that the paint swatches provide. The game pieces were purchased from Wal-Mart as well (colored buttons) On the back, I stapled a sandwich bag containing the number cards and the game pieces.

Here are some photos of today's storytime:

 Chris Van Allsburg is my favorite children's author. He always writes mystical books with a neat ending. His illustrations are also pretty amazing!

 All the girls got together for a quick photo before storytime started.

 Storytime was actually during Ava's nap time today. She had been pretty tired when we were at home, but she was so good during the story! I felt bad that she missed her morning nap, but I had to teach today. She got a nap when we got home, though!

 Sidney Ellis and Molly Jane pose for the camera. They are definitely Barger kids!! Hmm...wonder where Sidney Ellis got the idea for that peace sign? (She is her daddy's child!) :)

 The front of the file folder game

 The back

 The inside

 Carla and Luke play Jumanji

 Aubrey plays solo

 All the girls play while Molly shows me that she has 2 of the "1" card.

Silly face!

No comments:

Post a Comment