Saturday, July 2, 2011

Blogworthy Dinner

I do not consider myself to be a great cook. Don't get me wrong, I can whip up some pork chops with the best of them. But oftentimes I get stuck in a rut and revert back to eating out at restaurants (which is so horrible for my health) 

Since Jeremy's Diabetes diagnosis, we have been trying to cook more meals at home and be a little more adventurous. I am not going to use the word, "picky," but Jeremy certainly is adamant about what he will eat and what he will NOT eat! :) As you can imagine, this has been kind of tricky. Last week we attended a Diabetes 101 class at DCH and that has helped tremendously! He has been a little more accepting of foods that he previously would not even try.

Here is our dinner that we ate tonight:

sliced tomatoes with olive oil, salt, and pepper; Caribbean jerk chicken; garlic mashed potatoes; and steamed butternut squash

We were told by a licensed dietician in the Diabetes class that Jeremy should keep his carbs limited to about 45 grams per meal. He would also need to even it out by eating fresh vegetables so that his blood sugar would not soar. The dietician said that after a meal, Jeremy's blood sugar should stay below 180, but it would be better to stay below 150. He checked his blood sugar two hours after this meal and it was 100! We were very pleased with that! I guess I can add this meal to the list of things that we will definitely try again!!

No comments:

Post a Comment