Friday, July 15, 2011

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part II-End of an Era

 Peyton and her sister waited in line to get into the 2D version. She came over to say hi and get a picture before returning to her place in line. We hated that we did not get to sit in the same theatre, but decided that when Breaking Dawn Part I comes out in November, we will all buy our tickets together and sit together! Can't wait to wear my Team Edward shirt!

 Alisha and I waited for Caitlin to get off of work before we went into the theatre. We had tickets for the 3D show and had to wait on the bench before entering the theatre. So much fun!!

Caitlin and Alisha pose next to Bellatrix after our movie let out. What a night! I got into bed at 3 this morning! Luckily, Ava slept until 10:37 this morning (a whole 13 1/2 hours!) I was happy about that!


If you are not a fan of the Harry Potter series, you will not appreciate this post. But, in the spirit of the Pate Potpourri, I will give my two cents!

I was first introduced to the Harry Potter series when I was a junior in high school. I was a participant in the UIL (University Interscholastic League) competition each year and was required to read Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone for the literature division of the competition. I bought the book in paperback and began reading (Now I must tell you at this point that I am one of those people who judges a book by its cover and will quit reading a book if the first page is not absolutely spectacular!) I was impressed with Mary Grandpre's cover illustrations. It looked exciting enough. But I couldn't get past the first page. It was too British. I don't mean to offend anyone who is British, but there is a certain style and voice in a literary piece that attracts me. I am very particular and Harry Potter just didn't make the cut. Needless to say, I didn't do the competition that year.

Fast forward to my senior year of high school. I was bored one Saturday and picked up the Harry Potter book. I thought I would give it another try. I got comfortable on my couch and began to read. I was spellbound! I could not put it down!! I don't know what difference a year made, but I loved it. I read it in just a few hours and went to Wal-Mart that evening to buy the other two books: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, and Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban. I read them out of order and then read them in order. I read them over and over again!

When Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire came out, I went the next day to buy it. Too bad it was sold out! I learned my lesson then and have been at every midnight release of the Harry Potter books. I have also been to every midnight release of the Harry Potter movies except Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part I (I was three weeks away from my due date with Ava) So this brings you up to speed on my infatuation with the Harry Potter series. Simply put, I have become an adult with Harry, Ron, and Hermione.

Last night as I entered the theatre, I was surprised at the amount of people who did not dress up. But I guess they had all become adults too. The crowd we sat with was amazingly subdued. The movie started with no clapping or shouting that is usually characteristic of a Harry Potter premiere. I heard sniffling, laughing, and stunned silence as the movie progressed. I even teared up on a few parts. It was so hard to watch parts of the movie that reminded me that Harry was an orphan. I know that it is pure fantasy, but I was moved.

I walked out of the theatre and back to my car. On the way home, I talked on the phone to a friend in Texas who had just seen the movie. We both agreed that this last installment was the missing puzzle piece. Until this movie, we had been able to take the puzzle apart and try putting it back together, but there was always a piece missing. It is nice to have the missing piece, but Harry Potter will never be the same. 

Last night's showing was probably the final chapter of my childhood. I am 27 years old, and have been an "adult" for a while now. But last night was it. I guess I can grow up now...

No comments:

Post a Comment