Friday, September 2, 2011

Sweet Ava at 8 and 1/2 months!

I dropped the ball and did not post on Ava's 8 month birthday. We were out of town and I had every intention of posting when we got settled in at home. Well, almost 3 weeks later, I do not consider myself "settled in." I still have laundry to wash, showers to plan, a filthy kitchen (even though I just cleaned it), and a teething baby (I think in a week, she will have 4-6 new teeth.) So, I just have to do it! Here is my post on Ava at 8.5 months:

Milestones:


  • Ava can almost clap by herself. She has to be looking at her hands to do it, though! If she is looking away and tries to clap, her hands pass one another in the air! :)
  • Ava knows to put her hands together to pray before she eats. (Now, this does not mean that she does it every time. She is experimenting with defiance and will pull her hands away from me and fuss when she just wants to skip to the meal. I move the food out of her sight and hold her hands in place no matter how hard she struggles. In the middle of the prayer, she will usually calm down and listen)
  • She understands "No, No!" I try to reserve this  for things that jeopardize her safety. If there is something that I just don't prefer her to do, I try to re-direct her attention.
  • She crawls everywhere and is into everything!! She can crawl really fast when Jeremy plays with her. She likes for him to chase her while she crawls away and squeals. She comes for me and bangs her head into my chest to get away from him. It is cute and apparently, does not hurt her. :)
  • She still just says "dada." She is experimenting with other sounds: "sus,sus,sus" and "boh-moh." I have no idea what they mean.
  • She can pull all the way up to a standing position and let go. She can stand for about 1 second and then falls onto her tush. She has learned to fall a certain way so that she does not fall back and hit her head.
  • When she is in the middle of a room with nothing to hold onto, she can get herself up on all fours but has not figured out how to pull all the way up to standing.
  • She loves to be tickled on her ribcage!!
  • While she is standing, she can hold onto something while also bending down to pick something off of the floor.
  • She is very curious!! She wants to know what is going on at all times!!
  • Everything goes into her mouth!!
  • She loves splashing during her bathtime!
  • She eats three solid food meals a day and has four bottle feedings a day. She is quite the eater!! Jeremy and I started making her baby food at home and she loves it!! I still pack a baby food jar or two from the grocery store into her diaper bag, but I think she actually prefers the homemade stuff.
  • She has about 4-5 bowel movements a day! She is a machine!!
  • She still has just two teeth, but several more are trying to pop through her gums. Her gums are very swollen and tender, and she drools a lot.
  • She smiles almost all the time!! Especially when Daddy gets home from work! She loves Daddy time!
  • She still sleeps 12-12.5 hours every night. When we were on vacation, she slept about 9 hours at night. It was a different place with lots of different faces, but she still acted very rested and was pleasant to be around.
  • She enjoys Bible Class so much! After lunch everyday, I teach her a small Bible class. I read stories to her from her Beginner's Bible and sing songs that go along with the stories. She smiles and laughs through the whole thing. Above all, this makes me the most happy. I want to convey to her that Christianity is fun (I know that it has serious moments and I will teach her about that too, but I want her to enjoy worship) Jeremy and I both want her to love God and know that he loves her too. We both feel like we need to teach her to enjoy serving God and others.
  • Ava enjoys singing during Sunday worship. It usually comes out as a long vocal note, but in her baby mind, I think she understands that this is the part where you belt it out! :)
I think that is probably it. Hopefully, I will have some new things to add in two weeks when she turns 9 months!!

No comments:

Post a Comment