Saturday, September 17, 2011

The Great Sippy Cup Adventure

Okay, my title is a little misleading. There really was no great adventure. It all went about how I expected it to go. But, an adventure just makes it sound so much better!

This morning, I woke up and thought: "this is the day we introduce the sippy cup." I asked Ava's pediatrician about it at the last appointment and she said it was fine to go ahead and give it to her. She did give me several good tips:

  • Give the sippy cup during a mealtime so that Ava makes the connection that she is supposed to use it while eating. 
  • Take the plastic plug out so that Ava can learn how to use it. She won't automatically know how to  extract water if the plug is in.
  • Give water in it at first and when she is about 11 months old, start diluting whole milk so that she can transition from formula to whole milk.
  • Prepare for her to be soaked!! (and she was!)

I wanted to do it on a day when Jeremy was home. He is very sentimental about all of Ava's firsts. In fact, I still have not taken Ava swimming because he couldn't be there for it! So, today was the day!! I have two different beginner sippy cups, but I decided that this little one with the handles would be a great one to begin with.









She loves her sippy cup. I think that she will understand how to use it more and more as the days go by. Jeremy and I both thought that she did a great job with it on her first day!

No comments:

Post a Comment