Wednesday, September 14, 2011

9 Month Check Up

Since Ava has been teething, I have been alternating Motrin and Tylenol for about 4 days. Yesterday, I slacked on the meds a little bit and by 7:30 last night, Ava was running a temperature of 103.3! She has never run a temperature that high and I was a little scared. The highest temp. she has ever had was 100.4 about 3 months ago when her first two teeth came through the gums. Most doctors will tell you that fever is not a symptom of teething, but I find it completely ironic that my little girl has a tooth busting through the gums, is acting completely normal, but is running a temperature. I think a lot of people will disagree with me on this, but I really think the teething explains the fever (even a temperature that high) 

Luckily, today was her 9 month check-up! She actually slept 12 hours last night (which was a Godsend because she has been waking up at midnight for a few days) and woke up with a fever of 102.2. Although it had come down by a whole degree, I was still planning on asking Ava's doctor about it. When we got to the doctor's office we did not get to sit in the well baby room :( We had to sit out in the regular lobby just in case Ava had a virus. I will admit, I felt a bit dirty.  There is something about a regular waiting room at a doctor's office that makes me want to carry wipes around like Adrian Monk (which is crazy because I am not a germaphobe at all. In reality, I am probably too lax on germs) We did not have to linger long because Ava was called back after about 10 minutes.

The first things our nurse did was weigh and measure Ava. She now weighs 18 lbs. and 7 oz., which flows nicely on her growth curve. Ava now measures 26.5 inches in length, which is also perfect on her growth curve. YAY! I feel like a good mom!! She is in the 50th percentile for weight, and the 25th percentile for height. She is right on target. :) The nurse measured Ava's head and it is 46 cm (also completely average) We had the option of giving Ava the flu vaccination today, but we decided against it because of her fever. We have set up another appointment for a week from today. If her fever gets under control, then we will have the shot administered to her. There were no other vaccinations today. The nurse checked her hemoglobin and it was 11.1 which was exactly what it should be! All in all, we had great news today!

There were two concerns I had: the bags under Ava's eyes, and transitioning to a sippy cup. Dr. Roberts assured us that the bags under her eyes were nothing to worry about. Since Ava usually sleeps 12 hours at night, takes two 2 hour naps, and is not anemic, then they should disappear as she gets older. She also told me that because Ava is so fair skinned, it is not unusual for the vessels to be visible under her eyes. I felt good about that answer. I want to transition Ava to a sippy cup soon, but I don't want her just carry around a cup full of formula. To me, formula should be administered as a feeding, not as a snack. Dr. Roberts said that it would be good to introduce a sippy cup full of water at a solid food meal. She said that I was right in thinking that formula should be reserved as a meal. She also told me that at about 11 months, I should start diluting whole milk in the sippy cup just so Ava has a taste for it. I got some good answers at the appointment today! I feel comfortable with the next 3 months until Ava's 12 month appointment.

Of course, we took some pictures! Here they are:

 Every time we visit Dr. Roberts, Ava tries to tear the paper table cover. Now that she is bigger, we actually have a fight on our hands. It takes effort to get the paper out of her hands!

 Got it!

 Man!! She is wishing she could hold onto that paper that Daddy just took away!

 All smiles and no shots!!

 After Ava's appointment, Jeremy and I went on a little afternoon date to Ruby Tuesday. He fed Ava for me and played with her before heading back to work.

 Snoopy! She is not content to just drink her bottle. She has to see what is going on around her as well!

 This is how much I love my little girl: I posted this picture just because her smile is so beautiful even though I look worried in the background (I was watching the TV in Ruby Tuesday and there was a glare)
 Pretty Baby!

Silly girl! Jeremy is holding her back from trying to grab something off the table. She is so strong!

1 comment: