Friday, November 18, 2011

30 Days of Thankfulness: Day 18

It is a little late for me to be posting. At this time of night, I am usually swaddled up in my comforter watching Seinfeld or The Office. I wish I had one of those Snuggies right now actually (Christmas present idea! Hint, hint!!) You know you are old and boring when you request a Snuggie for Christmas!! (No offense to anyone who has requested one in the past. I am just trying to make fun of myself!) :)

Well the purpose of this post, like the past 17 posts this month, is to give thanks. I have a list of things that will make it onto the blog by the end of this month, but today I am going to derail for a minute and post something that is not on the list. Today, I am thankful that I am a stay-at-home mom. 

I never thought I would enjoy staying at home full time. I am not an amazing housekeeper or cook so I knew that being a stay at home wife was out of the question. However, when Ava came along, Jeremy and I both thought it was best for her if I stayed at home with her. I am not here to make anyone feel bad because they don't stay home with their children. I know plenty of women who are amazing moms and they work full time. That is just not me. When it came down to it, Jeremy and I had to do what was best for our family. Let me tell you, THIS IS IT!

I don't know why this didn't make my thanksgiving list this month. I guess I was just thinking of mainly material blessings and I overlooked this. As I was rocking Ava and feeding her the last bottle of the night, I got to thinking about how wonderful it has been to stay at home with her. When she needs me, I am there for her. I love that. 

This afternoon, during Ava's second nap of the day, she woke up screaming after only 35 minutes. She never does that so I knew something was wrong. I went into her room and found her sitting up in bed holding her giraffe lovey. She was crying so hard that gigantic tears were pouring from her eyes and she was already hiccuping. I picked her up and tried to rock her. She was inconsolable. Luckily, Jeremy was working from home today, so he was able to help. After 10 minutes, she was still crying just as hard as she had been when she woke up. I laid down on the couch and had Jeremy hand her over to me along with her giraffe. I massaged her ears (she loves it!) and ran my fingers through her hair. She continued hiccuping for several minutes, but she immediately stopped crying. She was very still for several minutes (if you have held my child for more than a minute or two, you know that she is NEVER still!!) :) I was worried because it was so out of character for her to be so still. She eventually perked back up and started babbling to us, but it was a scary few minutes. I still don't really know why she woke up. Maybe it was a nightmare. It could have been the new tooth that just broke through her gums (even though she had Tylenol AND Motrin) Or she could have just wanted me to hold her. I like to think it is the latter. :)

Anyway, today I am so thankful that my husband is able to support our family so that I can stay at home. I don't get to fix my hair every day or wear make-up. Right now I am actually wearing a Tweety bird t-shirt (yes, Tweety bird) but I feel like staying at home has taken so many complications out of our lives. I don't have to worry about getting a substitute teacher every time Ava is sick. I don't have to worry about taking personal days when all my sick days are up. I don't have to worry about a maternity leave. I just have to get up every day and take care of my child. It is not an easy job, but it is the least amount of stress that I have ever felt. I feel like I was made for this! Thank you, Jeremy, for making this happen! Thank you, Lord, for giving me the chance to be a mother!

No comments:

Post a Comment