Sunday, October 30, 2011

Toiletries & Coupons & CVS (Oh, My!)

Tonight after our little dinner date, we stopped at CVS for a few toiletry items that we were running dangerously low on. I needed deodorant and shower gel, and Jeremy needed more deodorant/anti-persperant. I had no coupons because I did not buy a newspaper this morning, so I knew that we were about to dish out some dough. CVS is more expensive than Wal-Mart and I am not cheap. I like my $8 Oil of Olay body wash. Yes, we could have drove the extra three miles to Wal-Mart, but I absolutely despise shopping there! I hate waiting in the stupid lines, I can't stand hearing people scream profanities at their children, and Wal-Mart's coupon policy stinks!

Jeremy reluctantly handed over the debit card and reminded me to only get what I needed. He waited in the car with Ava and I went inside to face the bill. I scanned my Extra Care card and was DELIGHTED to get a $1 off of Irish Springs Deodorant/Anti-Persperant! Yay! That was a start! I scanned this weeks add and was pretty happy to see that my body wash was on sale for $6 (instead of $8) AND I could get $2 ECB back with its purchase! I looked even further in the add to see that Lady Speed Stick was on sale 2/$5.50 with $4 ECB!! YAY! I had gone into CVS with NO coupons and somehow managed to make it work for us!!

Here is what I did:

 I scanned my card and got my print-out of coupons. I was able to use the $1 off of deodorant, but not the $5 off of $20 facial products. I did not take my camera into the store with me, so I did not get a picture of the coupon. :)

 I checked the add and found Lady Speed Stick on sale

 and Oil of Olay was on sale

 I bought 2 deodorants for $5.50 (a savings of $1.48 in itself)

 I paid $6 total BUT I got back $4 for my purchases!

 I then did another transaction for my $8 body wash.

 It was on sale for $6 (a savings of $1.99) I then used my $4 ECB from my previous purchase to reduce this to $2.54! AND I still got back $2 ECB for this purchase!

 My third and final transaction was for Jeremy's deodorant.

It was full price ($3.89), but I had the $1 off coupon that I paired with the $2 ECB! The cost of this deodorant was $1.24!!

On this trip, I was expecting to pay around $17 with tax included. I had no coupons, no add, and no idea what was on sale. This only took about 10 minutes to figure out, and I saved $10.48. I spent a total of $9.78. If I had bought a newspaper this morning, I probably could have found coupons for the body wash and my deodorant. I could have saved even more! I was super excited about these purchases and my savings (which equalled more than I spent!)

No comments:

Post a Comment