Saturday, July 28, 2012

A Tid-Bit About My Childhood...

I had a fairly normal childhood, but I did get to experience things that most kids did not get to do. My dad is a grain hauler and has been for about 25 years. When my sister and I were children, we would go trucking with my dad while he was on jobs. We would ride with him into the fields and wait for the combines to come fill up his grain trailer. Sometimes several combines would be waiting to fill it up and it would only take an hour. Sometimes only one combine would be available and it would take 4 hours. We never knew what we were going to get, but we made the best of it. Brittany and I would climb into the trailer (after the combine filled it up) and play in the grain (milo or corn) We got to know the farmers really well and enjoyed seeing them year after year. After the trailer got filled, we would ride with my dad to the different ports and deliver the loads. Sometimes we would wait in line all night. I remember many nights where we would get stuck in a line of about 100 trucks (not exaggerating) My dad would not be able to pull out of line because he would lose his spot, so we would have to walk to the vending machines to eat dinner. Sometimes a honeybun hits the spot!! :) Anyway, I haven't been trucking with my dad since I was about 13 (about 15 years ago) but my brother now gets his turn. The other day, my mom sent me a picture that warmed my heart. It was a picture of my dad's truck in a field with a combine filling up the trailer. It brought back lots of memories that I wanted to share.


No comments:

Post a Comment