Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Storytime Tuesday: The Very Hungry Caterpillar

Today was a little hectic! I tried to find an activity for storytime last night. I looked at all kinds of lesson plans on the internet and nothing really jumped out at me. I went to sleep thinking that it would come to me in the morning. I woke up and still had nothing planned. Finally, I grabbed The Very Hungry Caterpillar, by Eric Carle, and some coffee filters and headed out the door. Whew!! That was a close one!!

I read the book to all the kiddos and then passed out coffee filters to each child. I told them to scribble on the filter with markers and I would show them how to make a butterfly. I know, I know! This craft is so old-fashioned! But, I had to do something!! I then took all the kids to the bathroom and barely put water on each filter. The colors spread beautifully on each filter. The kids loved it! We patted the filters dry and slid them into an old clothespin. Ta-Da! They had a beautiful butterfly!


 Blank coffee filter

 My butterfly

 Another butterfly (They all turned out so good! Each one was totally unique.)

 Eating snacks

Alisha and Ava

No comments:

Post a Comment