Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Storytime Tuesday: The Cow That Went Oink!

Storytime Tuesday took a two week hiatus during the holidays. During that time, Carla Taylor and Cindy Middleton went to the building as they usually would and redecorated the storytime room! I had no idea until I walked in today and saw how wonderful they made it look! I missed the last two storytimes because our family has been out of town for the holidays and for my sister's wedding. The room looks fabulous!

Two Chicka, Chicka, Boom-Boom trees flank either side of the teacher's chair (off centered because little hands got a hold of it!) and spray painted cardboard letters now litter the walls. Too cute!

 White exterior gutters are used to hold books! Great ideas, ladies!

More letters on the opposite wall and a legit toy chest to pack away all those storytime toys!

It was so neat to teach storytime today. Instead of sitting on the floor, all the kiddos sat in little red chairs in a semi-circle around the teacher chair. I love this because it promotes personal space and everyone can see without having to sit on their knees.

I will go ahead and apologize for the poor quality of the photos today. I did not bring my camera as I usually do because I was running late this morning (surprise! surprise!) :) All of these pictures were taken from my phone. It ended up being pretty fun, though, because all the kids wanted me to take their picture and then scroll back and show them. A few of them were even smart enough to know how to use their fingers to zoom in on a photo on my phone. Smarties!

We started off by singing Old MacDonald Had A Farm (just 3 verses) and then I got into the story for the day: The Cow That Went Oink! I love this cute little story because it is just plain funny. I also like that the cow (who says, "oink") and the pig (who says, "moo") get the last laugh! The kids had a great time listening to and interacting with the story. I asked them several comprehension questions during the story and they answered all of them with a lot of thought. I will be the first to admit that the "craft" today was a bit dinky! All the kids did today was paste a strip of green construction paper onto a piece of white cardstock (grass) Then they pasted a pink pig and a brown horse (we do not have a cow shaped die-cut) to look like they are walking on the grass. Still, they don't know the difference and had a great time. The teacher in me cringed, though! If I had been presenting that lesson to a group of students with an administrator grading me, points would have been deducted from my total score because I used a horse instead of a cow on the craft! But, I have to remember that I am not a classroom teacher anymore and therefore have the freedom to do WHAT I WANT!! :) Whew! Can you tell that I still have some pent up frustration from my teaching days?! I need to stop being so hard on myself! :) After the craft, the kiddos ate Scooby Snacks and had a Capri-Sun to drink. They all played pretty hard (they acted like friendly snakes) and then cleaned up the room to go back home. Hopefully they will all take naps for their mommas'!


 We had lots of our baby boys today! This is Webb Barger. 

 Tripp Scarvey

 Sam Tayor

 All the kids enjoyed their tasty snack!

 Kate

 Luke and Jaden

 Timber

 Lauren and Aunt Beck-Beck

 Canyon

 Gabby and Molly Jane

 Aubree and Molly Jane

 Aubree and Gabby

 Lily Grace, Aubree, Gabby, and Kate

 Silly faces!

 Silly little girls!

 Lauren wanted me to take a picture of just her!

 Ava was sporting the pancho today! She didn't care, as long as she got to eat her Scooby Snacks!

 Sweet Anna Caroline! She is precious!

She finally sat down! There were so many kids today that Ava roamed the classroom the whole time! I really did not have to watch her because she just followed the kids around. It made teaching today really easy!

No comments:

Post a Comment